Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Katie's Follow Up

Today Katie met with her development pediatrician for a 6 month follow up. He is a very caring and passionate doctor. He is not your average doctor who goes strictly by the book; he reads new studies and treatments. He talked in detail about the high incidence of Multiple Sclerosis in Western Pennsylvania in 18-20 year olds. He said there is so much going on with heavy metals and disorders that general pediatricians aren't exploring.
The doctor went over Katie's blood work from March. He said the thyroid needs to be rechecked and if the levels are still high; he recommends seeing an endocrinologist. As I mentioned previously, he prescribed a zinc supplement twice a day, calcium supplement, arctic cod liver oil, and a multi vitamin with extra folic acid. The extra folic acid will help prevent blood clots since Katie has the same blood mutation MTHFR that I have.
The doctor also said he is concerned about Katie's nutrition since she is so small. She weighs 21.7 pounds and is 32.5 inches tall. The good news: she grew two inches in 6 months.
Katie meets with the genetic doctor tomorrow. Since the doctor is right down from Children's Hospital; Katie will get her blood drawn tomorrow. Can I tell you how horrible I feel everytime Katie has to have blood drawn? She is such a small thing and the amount of blood that is taken from her is huge. No mother likes to hear her child cry or see them in discomfort. I know it has to be done but it is still hard.

1 comment:

James Neill said...

Funny thing is, every time she goes through that, I can't help but remember all she went through in the hospital. No child deserves that, but without it she wouldn't be with us.

And it makes me realize she is much stronger than we give her credit for. But I am glad I wasn't there to hear her crying and saying "Please! All done!"

It makes me almost cry just thinking about it.