Monday, April 26, 2010

Happy 3rd Birthday Felicity!





Happy Birthday to my little girl Felicity. I remember the day she was born so well. I never experienced contractions with Katie and I was pretty sure I was having them with Felicity. I was supposed to have a NST (non stress test) that morning and was taking Heparin shots twice a day. I started having some cramps and back pain and thought I better hold off on the Heparin shot that morning.

I called the doctor's office and the doctor told me, go to the hospital. I hooked up to the monitors for my contractions and vitals. My parents came to the hospital and sat with Jim and I until we got the word from the doctor. She said my contractions were steady but instead of sending me home only to come back later, they would deliver Felicity that day.

We dropped Katie off at Jim's parents' house and they met us later at the hospital.

Everything was new to me. I had an emergency c-section with Katie so I never was conscious during the prep and delivery phase. I think my biggest fear was the getting the spinal epidural. It really wasn't as bad I thought. The doctor and staff had a radio playing during the surgery. I heard Prince's Little Red Corvette and Van Morrison's Brown Eyed Girl. It wasn't until Jungle Love by The Steve Miller Band did I hear Felicity's cries. I gave a kiss to Jim after he said congratulations Mommy.

The staff was wonderful with both me and Felicity. I got to see one of the neonatalogists who took care of Katie in the NICU. She was checking and rechecking Felicity. During the delivery, the doctor heard a pop when she pulled Felicity out. She wanted Felicity rechecked a couple weeks later and make sure her leg was fine. It was.

Felicity looked huge to me. but she weighed only 5 pounds 8 ounces. She took to nursing with no problems but did have a little bit of jaundice.

The c-section recovery seemed much easier this time around and it was so nice leaving the hospital with Felicity in my arms.

No comments: